Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Brew Day Today


Brewed up my saison/brett C batch today. Did a 10 gallon batch split into 2 6 gallon carboys. One carboy had a 2L starter pitched in it and the other had a pack of Wyeast Brettanomyces Clausseni pitched in it. OG was under shot (because I got about an extra gallon, must have calculated wrong) by 2 points. 1.055. Should have been 1.057 but 2 points isn't a huge deal. The mash started at 151 and went down about 2 degrees in 60min. This should be super tasty. A super light dry saison for the summer and a nice beer with pineapple and tropical fruit tartness in about 8 months. Cant wait.

I recommend that anyone considering jumping into all grain, start off with equipment big enough to do 10 gallon batches. You can do 2 different beers like I did today or have a bunch more beer in the same amount of time. Plus you will want to upgrade later anyway.

In the picture I ended up jerry riggin up a 3 tier system with 2 coolers I had laying around. I need to build a sparge arm so I can fly sparge. I just slowly poured the water from the top cooler to the bottom one though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did the Brett C batch take off? I'm looking at doing a 100% Brett C Foreign Extra Stout and I'd like to see how that can handle a fermentation all by itself.

Corey Rhoads said...

It had a pretty long lag time. Like 3 days but it started and you can see it working still. Its doin its think still and it has been 2 weeks so it takes a while. I dont know if Brett C would be good for a stout. It is suppose to leave very tropical and pineapple fruit flavors behind. But I say do it and see. Theres only one way to find out.