Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Saison/Brett C Experiment

For my next beer I plan to brew this week I am going to brew a traditional Saison for the first half of the batch and throw Wyeast 5151-PC Brettanomyces claussenii (Brett C) that just came out this month in the second half. Here is the recipe:

10 gallon batch
All grain
68% Efficiency
Anticipated OG: 1.058
Anticipated FG: 1.017

16Lbs Pilsner 72.73%
4Lbs Munich 10L 18.18%
2Lbs Corn Sugar (Dry it out)

2oz Northern Brewer @ 30min (22.4 IBU)
2 oz Willamette @ 5min (3.8 IBU)

Mash in @ 150 for 60 min
Batch Sparge

I will split the batch into 2 6 gallon primaries and pitch a 2L starter of White Labs Saison 1 yeast into one and then the Wyeast 5151-PC Brettanomyces claussenii into the other and leave that one alone for at least 6 months.

Here is the yeast profile on the Brett C:
Beer Styles: Lambics, Geuze, Fruit Lambic, Flanders Red Ale
Profile: Isolated from English stock ale, this wild yeast produces a mild Brett character with overtones of tropical fruit and pineapple. It ferments best in worts with a reduced pH after primary fermentation has begun. May form a pellicle in bottles or casks. Typically used in conjunction with other yeast and lactic acid bacteria.

Alc. Tolerance 12% ABV
Flocculation medium
Attenuation 80%
Temperature Range 60-75°F (15-24°C)

I am only going to use the Brett C as the primary yeast and make a 100% bret beer and hopefully get some good tropical fruit/pineapple from it. I have heard it can be used in a 100% brett beer and has good results.

The Saison I plan to ferment vey high. At 80F to get a lot of good spicy characters from the yeasts. I chose such a simple recipe because I dont think farmers in France/Belgium where it originated from really dropped a bunch of crap in their beers and I am going to let the yeast shine in this one. I want it light crisp and refreshing. I will report back with pictures and how it turned out later...

2 comments:

Rob said...

Awesome ideas man. I did a pretty basic recipe a week ago, and am fermenting with some regular yeast first, and in the secondary, I'm adding White Labs Belgian Sour to it and will sit on it for some time. I'm not sure how long. I got the idea from Jamil's book, he did a flanders brown in it and used the belgian sour yeast. His didn't seem to take too long to age, he said to keep tasting it and when it's at the right level of sour - to keg it and chill it to stop the souring. I might give that a try,.. but I think I might bottle half of them and shove them in a back closet for a while.
Anyhow, I'm anxious to hear how your brews come out. Have you made that Saison before? Sounds pretty easy. I made a Saison last year that was a big hit.. 10 gallons and we drank it all up! http://daytonroadbrewing.blogspot.com/2008/06/saison-brewday.html Anyhow, I'll keep an eye on your blog, funny our blogs look the same.. Talk to you soon.

Corey Rhoads said...

Yeah I am excited because this will be my first time using brett. This strain is not very sour just a little tart but puts out slot of pineapple and tropical fruit into the beer. When you ferment with a Saccharomyces strain first and then add the Brett to secondary you dont get as much tartness or flavors from the beer and I love the super sour beers like La Follie or Red Poppy so I am trying to make it a little more sour even though this strain isnt very sour to begin with. I have read through a little bit of your blog as well and I think its pretty cool.