Sunday, April 5, 2009

My Equipment

Here are pics of my Home Brew set up. I still have alot of stuff I want to buy (there is always stuff to buy) and most importantly I want a grain mill, a hot liquor tank and currently I am working with my dad to build a three tier set up. Any way here is my stuff:


This is the cabinet in the garage where I keep my home brewing stuff. I need more cabinets...













My brew pot and wort chiller. Its a 15 gallon with a nice SS ball valve and a thermometer. The wort chiller is nice and big for the 10 gallon batches.










The mash ton. It is a 48qt cooler with a ball valve and a home made false bottom manifold made out of 1/2 copper pipe.











Here is a close up of the copper manifold. I used a dremmel tool to cut the slots. They are about1/3 of an inch apart.












I use a pre-chiller during the warmer months since my tap water gets pretty warm in the summer and it makes it hard to cool the wort. I just dump ice into the bucket to pre-chill the water that is going to the main wort chiller.







My fermentation control fridge. Its a Pepsi fridge that you see at grocery stores holding the 20oz bottles at the cash register. The top shelf holds my most precious brews I have aquired in trades or bought (yes that is a Deviation 9th on the far right). It can hold 2 carboys side by side.





This is the 2 stage controller to control the temperature of the fermentation. The probe goes into a thermowell that is inserted into the carboy cap and then down into the fermenting beer. This reads the temp of the actual liquid inside. The fridge plugs into stage one and cools it down if the temp goes higer than what you set it at. I then plug a heat wrap into stage two so if it goes below a certain temp this will heat it up. It stays within 1 degree of the target temperature I want to achieve. The 2 stage controller is kind of expensive but it is worth every penny. If you are brewing in the winter and you want to brew a Hefeweizen with lots of banana, it needs to ferment in the upper 70's and you will need to be able to heat it up. Same thing for a saison. It just adds more control.

3 comments:

♥♥♥♥♥ Jennifer™® ♥♥♥♥♥ said...

your blog is very good

Momma said...

Wow...home brewing seems complicated...I just go to food lion to get my brews. Our neighbors home brew...and we love the beers.

Corey Rhoads said...

Thanks Jennifer, Its my first blog so I am still gettin the hang of it.

To Joette: Its not that hard, just takes some time and most people dont brew as much as I do but I like it alot and its a fun hobby. Ask your neighbors if you can brew with them some day. Im sure they will love to have a little extra help and teach you. It is not as hard as it seems. Especially when you start out using extract. That will get your feet wet then get you hooked.