Saturday, April 4, 2009

Honey Double IPA

This will be my first blogged home brew recipe. I don't feel like going back to all the batches that I have brewed in the past so I am going to start with the most recent brew I have made. It is a Double IPA brewed with 3 Lbs of honey. My best beer buddy was down here from the bay area and we decided to brew a beer together and this is what he wanted to brew. It is still in the primary since fermentation is kind of slow with that much honey so it's going to be a while longer. It has 12 different hop additions including the dry hop but I won't be able to dry hop untill the fermentation is done. I will dry hop in the primary for 4 days then rack to secondary to clear it up. The last double IPA I did was my first all grain batch and it had way too many IBU's and not enough malt. This one I steped up the malt and droped the IBU's down a bit.

The perpose of the honey was to dry the beer out a bit since it is 100% fermentable but I am hoping there will be some residual honey flavor left when all is said and done.

Here is the recipe:

14 lbs (75.68%) 2 Row
1lb (5.41%) Crystal 40L
1/2lb (2.7%) Cara-Pils
3 lbs of orange blossom honey addedat last 5min (16.22%)

2oz Magnum (14%) @ 60min
1oz Sterling (7.5%) @ 20min
1oz Galena (13%) @ 17min
1oz Williamette (5.5%) @ 10min
1oz Sterling @10min
1oz Williamette @ 5min
1oz Galena @ 4min
1oz ea Centennial & Glacier @ flame out

1oz ea of Galena, Sterling, and Willamette will be dropped in to dry hop

Total IBU's: 149.7
Color: 9.3


Mashed in a little too high at 156F with 5 gallons of water for 60 min but it got down to 154 before I sparged. Did a batch sparge, since I don't have a hot liquor tank yet or a sprinkler, with 3 more gallons. I recirculated about 20 times to get it as clear as possible since my last DIPA was too cloudy for my taste. My efficiency was only 63% on this one but good thing I had calculated for that. Hit my OG @ 1.091 but with only 4.7 gallons of wort. Pitched a large 2000ml starter with 2 cups of DME of WLP001. I really need to get my own mill so I can crush a little finer. This one will be force carbed and on tap I'm hoping in about a week and a half from now. FG will come soon along with tasting notes.

No comments: